maandag 2 augustus 2010

Herfstbladeren

"When the telephone rang Gill was outside, raking the leaves into coppery piles, while her husband shovelled them on to a bonfire. It was a Sunday afternoon in late autumn. She ran into the kitchen when she heard its shrilling, and immediately felt the warmth of inside enfold her, not having realized, until then, how chilly the air had become. There would most likely be a frost that night."

Het was deze eerste alinea van The rain before it falls die me ertoe bracht toch maar eens een boek van Jonathan Coe open te slaan. De herfstige sfeer, de manier waarop de schrijver de lezer meteen verleidt om verder te lezen, om te weten te komen welk droevig bericht Gill staat te wachten als ze opneemt.
Herfstbladeren die in een vuurtje geharkt worden. Coe vond het zelf kennelijk ook een mooi beeld, want heel terloops gebruikte hij het ook al in The Rotters' Club als Benjamin Trotter op bezoek gaat bij zijn opa en oma.

"He liked talking to her, almost as much as he liked talking to his grandfather, who could be glimpsed in the garden raking the first of the fallen leaves into a bonfire and who even now was probably dreaming up some silly joke or terrible pun to make him groan over the tea-table."

2 opmerkingen:

  1. Nog zo'n eerste alinea die meteen uitnodigt tot verder lezen:

    "After many years of believing that I never dream of anything, I dreamed of Africa. It happened on a late-August night here at the farm in Keene Valley, about as far from Africa as I have been able to situate myself. I couldn't recall the dreams's story, although I knew that it was in Africa, the country of Liberia, and my home in Monrovia, and that somehow the chimps had played a role, for there were round, brown, masklike faces still afloat in my mind when I awoke, safe in my bed in this old house in the middle of the Adirondack Mountains, and found myself overflowing with the knowledge that I would soon return there."
    (Uit: The Darling van Russell Banks)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Nog een dan.

    "Er zijn mij een paar dingen overkomen, - niet alleen de dood van mijn moeder."
    (Uit: Twee vrouwen van Harry Mulisch)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen